Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Old World New World

Diptych Plus Two (1972)
During the late 1980s and much of the 1990s, I took an extended break from painting in order to devote my energies to traveling in and writing about Mexico.  In addition to writing, I created a large number of architectural drawings of Mexican colonial monuments to illustrate a series of guide books that I subsequently published.

Old World, New World (2002)
After 2000 I returned to painting, initially focusing on themes and compositional elements from earlier work, but from a new perspective.
This composition and a series of related prints have a long gestation period.  
They follow from a review of divided canvases (diptychs and triptychs) I painted in the 1970's, in particular the painting Diptych Plus Two from 1972. 
I also made use of the directional lines that I had introduced in my "In the Beginning" group of paintings from the early 1980s.


 Prints

 Then in 2003 and 2004 I completed a series of hand tinted monoprints exploring motifs from the 2002 painting shown above.

This Way Across (2003)
That Way Over (2004)
Half Way Along (2004)
images ©Richard D. Perry All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment