In another, smaller group of water based monotypes from 2006, entitled Deerstone, I used a similar format to the Stela series, but experimented with a cut out template that allowed for an even larger range of colors and textures within a single print—with unforeseen and often pleasing results!
I have already posted some prints I made in connection with particular paintings.
Although in the past I have worked with traditional printmaking techniques such as lithography and etching, sometimes combining the two, between 2004 and 2006 I produced several series of monoprints using water based rather than conventional oil based inks.
This technique allowed me to recreate some of the watercolor like effects that I have used in my stained paintings for many years. Although this method does not allow true editions to be made, it is precisely the somewhat unpredictable effects produced from one impression to another that held the greater appeal for me.
In this post I show several in the Stela series of 2006, in which I combined small woodcuts of ancient Mexican motifs within free flowing haloes of various hues.
This composition of reds, greens and orange tones was inspired by images taken during the demolition of an oil platform. Again I was intrigued by the textures of weatherbeaten surfaces and partially obliterated signage.
This painting is one of a series of three—two more to come!