Monday, August 6, 2012

New York and Mexico

"W" 1967
After art school I moved to London where I pursued a career in advertising. Although I had little time for painting, I explored various aspects of printmaking‚ primarily lithography and some etching.

In 1966 I relocated to New York to attend college. While pursuing a degree (in Latin American Studies) I also resumed painting as well as printmaking at the Pratt Graphic Arts Center.

At that time my work became freer and more abstract, incorporating collage and found materials, the structural concerns explored in my earlier painting continued to play a central role

"Bobby"  1967
During an extended trip to Mexico in the summer of 1966, I was greatly impressed by the ancient and colonial buildings there, especially their forms and textures. 
On my return I made some paintings inspired by these impressions. Clearly more architectural in character they continued to employ the same techniques of collage and roughly textured paint.

"Yecapixtla" 1966
Mission 66
images © Richard D. Perry All rights reserved

These paintings are for sale. Dimensions and prices given on request: dartnall@cox.net

1 comment:

  1. My recollection is that Yexcapixtla has no atrial cross. Artistic license or did one exist in 1966?

    ReplyDelete